Valentine’s Day Math, Language, Science & Art Activities
(A) Give students Valentine’s Day candies that come in several colours.
1. Graph them according to colour.
2. Find the colour mean, median and mode.
3. Calculate colour fractions, i.e. 18/24 reds, 2/24 pinks, 1/24 blue, 2/24 purple, 1/24 yellow. Turn fractions into decimals and then percentages.
4. Students write and trade their own Valentine’s Day word problems. Be sure that they are multi-step, include irrelevant information that must be weeded out and clever/well written.
(B) Plotting Ordered Pairs
On a piece of graph paper students follow directions in order to plot/map out Valentine’s Day pictures. (Younger students can use a 100s Board).
(A) Valentine’s Day Poetry
Students choose their favourite recipe. Replace food items with “Valentine’s Day/Friendship/Love Words”. (Brainstorm words as a class.)
My Valentine’s Day Cake
Just for You!
8 oz (225 g) Love
2/3 cup (140 g) Kisses
1 cup (210 g) Hugs
1 cup Roses
4 heaped tablespoons (1 dl) Kindness
4 tablespoons Winks
1½ teaspoon Joy
1 teaspoon Faithfulness
4 tablespoons Trust
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a heart-shaped 10 inch (25 cm) cake tin (3 inches tall) with non-stick paper and grease the tin. .
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes with love.
Serve and enjoy.
(B) Word Challenge:
How may words can you make using the letters in “Happy Valentine’s Day”.
III) Science Class:
We have learned about the cardiovascular system and the heart. Use this knowledge to create Valentine’s Day cards:
Decorate the outside in the traditional way. On the inside record ways to keep heart healthy.
- Eating heart healthy foods.
- Make time to exercise every day.
- Don’t smoke.
- Eat foods that are low in cholesterol, fats and salt.
- Eat foods containing Omega-3 fatty acids (i.e. fish, flaxseed oil, soybean oil, etc.)
- Eat heart healthy foods, i.e. blueberries, oatmeal, salmon, soy, spinach,
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
1. My favourite card:
“Heart in Hand Valentine Card” http://bit.ly/zbXCkE
2. Make “Crazy Card Carriers” http://bit.ly/w8WXdo